Sunday, August 08, 2004

Harmless Drudges

As Languagehat pointed out in his welcome post for “It's Ablaut Time”, I work for the Sino-Tibetan Etymological Dictionary and Thesaurus (STEDT). It's fun, but during my time at STEDT, I have learned that one of the worst responses you can give to the date question “So what do you do?” is, “I work on dictionaries.” Lexicographers are, I think, are basically seen as accountants, only without the glamorous and quick-paced lifestyle. Oh, and with smaller incomes.

5 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I stumbled upon your blog via LanguageHat. It's nice to see a blog from a Berkeley linguist (I've been passively searching for a bit, with no luck until today). I look forward to reading your posts in the future. (er...and from the information on your website, I believe I'll be seeing you this fall in 130 section)

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Hm, looking at my comment, I probably shouldn't have posted in a way that would make me look like some sort of anonymous stalker. My name's Russell Lee-Goldman (and I have a semi-linguistics blog as 'kantol' on livejournal).)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger David Mortensen said...

Hey Russell, nice to hear that there is another linguistics blog from someone associtated with berkeley. I've actually visited your blog before, following the link from languagelog. Maybe if I knew you were associated with Berkeley, I would have paid more attention ;-) Well, up on the blogroll you go (and see you in a few weeks).

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Connie blinked at said...

what a linguisticky comment.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Increase your Adsense Earnings

I noticed you have adsense ads on your page, Would you like to increase your earnings from them, Free and Legitimate way to make your clicks increase.
Come see my Blogger blog and it will tell you more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home